Saturday, November 19, 2011

Healthy Quinoa


I have a confession to make. I went to a dermatologist the other day to get some laser treatment done to my face (get my freckles removed) and I ended up looking like a victim of smallpox. I left work immediately (I had gotten this procedure done at lunch). I haven't moved from the house in over two days.

It is killing me.

So having dropped the ball on workouts, I have been religiously cooking meals at home and planning my strategy of attack for Tuesday, when I'm hoping I can go out in public again.

But there was at least a little good I got from this tortuous hibernation. A wonderful quinoa recipe!

Since I started working in a cubicle, my body has gone into a shock from sitting at a desk for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. No, seriously, how do women do it and remain fit? So anyway, due to this development, I began packing lunches daily to avoid eating out at the fatty restaurants that my co-workers like to frequent everyday (my coworkers are all young men who can eat whatever the hell they want).

One of my favorite lunches to pack is a simple soup, some quinoa, and some Korean side dishes! Without further adieu, here is my recipe for a delicious Quinoa lunch!



Ingredients:

1 cup quinoa (rinsed)
2 cups water
1 cup milk

1 Tablespoon Olive Oil + 1 Tablespoon Butter
1 cup chopped onions
1 teaspoon mashed garlic
1 fresh tomato, chopped
1 broccoli head, chopped
2 teaspoons tomato paste
Salt and pepper
Pinch of oregano
Pinch of cayenne

Possible Garnishes:
Sliced roasted almonds
fresh cilantro or basil or parsley
fresh queso fresco cubed
grated cheddar cheese

1. Place 1 cup quinoa and 2 cups of water in a medium pot and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook until water is almost gone and quinoa is translucent with yellow rings around the grain. Remove from heat and let the quinoa sit for 10 minutes.

2. Place oil and butter in a medium sized skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and cook for a couple minutes; then add the broccoli. Add the garlic until you can smell it. Add the chopped tomato, a pinch of salt, oregano, cayenne, and tomato paste. Sprinkle with fresh pepper. Stir ingredients together and cook until the sauce has cooked down a little. Stir in the cheese (if you have some) at this point. Remove from heat and season accordingly.

3. Stir 1 cup of milk into the cooked quinoa. Serve the quinoa topped with sauce and garnish with whatever you wish!

2 comments:

  1. HANA. Why did you get your freckles removed?! They're so cute!!!! :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. korea changed me! :(

    ReplyDelete